In honour of “Maple in the County”, where we celebrate everything MAPLE!
I love Raisin Bread. I love French Toast. I love waffles. So why not combine them all together…the result is Raisin Bread French Toast Waffles! …and the recipe couldn’t be easier. We have had this treat for breakfast and for dinner…
Start with the bread – your favourite raisin bread…I like thick slices for this recipe. Place them in a shallow baking dish:
In a large measuring cup, mix up a batch of the egg mixture:
Then pour over your slices of bread:
… and when they have soaked up all that egg-y goodness, you are ready to cook:
Preheat the waffle iron until it is good and HOT!
Place the slices in the grids; close the cover and cook until done (my waffle iron has an indicator):
Raisin Bread French Toast Waffles
(Makes 4 servings/2 waffles each)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp orange liqueur (optional
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 8 slices raisin bread (I like thick slices)
Serve with Maple Syrup, a dusting of powdered sugar, or fruit & whipped cream!
- In a mixing bowl (I prefer one with a pouring spout or even a large measuring cup) beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and if using, orange liqueur, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- In a shallow baking pan, place the slices of bread & pour the egg mixture over the top. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Lightly grease.
- Place a slice of egg coated raisin bread in each waffle section, close lid and do not open until done. When ready, use a fork to lift waffles off the grid. Keep warm in a 200F, preheated oven. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, & maple syrup…or with fresh fruit & whipped cream…mmmmmm
As always, let me know if you tried this recipe and how it turned out for you…
Until next time, Connie 😄